Electroconvulsive Threapy (ECT) is a safe and effective treatment for depression, mania, schizoaffective disorder and dementia complicated by an underlying mood disorder. ECT involves the use of a brief seizure within the brian. This activity causes biochemical changes that may help decrease symptoms or even cause them to stop. The results of ECT can be seen more quickly than the results of medications.
Pine Rest has been providing ECT for over 50 years with the most current technology and safety. This clinic enables individuals who suffer from various mental health problems to receive ECT without requiring a hospital stay.
Sometimes patients come to the clinic because it is their treatment preference. Others come because they have a history of poor drug response, a history of good ECT response, are sensitive to medication side effects or in cases where rapid response is required.
- Major depressive episodes (unipolar and bipolar)
- Mixed affective state
- Schizophrenia with prominent affective symptoms
- Schizoaffective disorder
Receiving ECT treatment at Pine Rest is convenient.
- Skilled and experienced psychiatrists, anesthesiologists and nursing staff insures that patients receive the best possible care.
- Our staff schedules all appointments necessary to begin ECT—including psychiatric consults, medical evaluation, EKG, lab work and insurance information.
- Using a video and brochures our staff teaches patients and families about ECT, and answers questions about the treatment.
For more information about ECT, please read: